Hello peeps! Peace be upon you all
Who needs this post?
Anyone who needs to use a version control tool, and have their team mates far from each other.
What do you need?
- Knowledge of using them both
What is TortoiseSVN?
TortoiseSVN is a really easy to use Revision control / version control / source control software for Windows.
You need a server. Yes, you can make one PC in your network as a server, but you need to be in the same network. What if you are not?
Why not make Dropbox the server? The difference here from the previous solution is that the database will be available on all machines instead of being available on the server only. I’m not talking about the actual data, because even in the previous model, the data will be available in all PCs. In this model, the database itself will be in all PCs.
- Sign up for Dropbox
- Download Dropbox and Install
- Download and Install TortoiseSVN
- Open Dropbox folder on your machine
- Create a new folder, call it anything – I called it Repository
- Open the new file
- Right-click anywhere > TortoiseSVN > Create repository here
- Done! now you have a data repository usable at any PC which got Dropbox
- Next, Right-click repository folder > Dropbox > Share this folder
- Share this folder with whom you want to work with in your project
- Once everybody got access to this folder, go to where you want to put the project folder (desktop in my case) Right-click then “SVN Checkout”l
- In the URL, Enter the location of the repository in Dropbox Folder. In Checkout, enter where you want the files to be, then press Ok
- Congratulations! You have your project folder now on your desktop or where ever you wanted it to be! NOW use this folder as you would use TortoiseSVN normally.
Dropbox will deal only with the data repository, it doesn’t care about the folders you have on your PC. When you choose “Commit”, Tortoise will commit in Dropbox, then Dropbox will update the data Repository in all other PCs
And done! Hope you find it useful!